Sometimes, we find, that the inner workings of a three-year-old seem more clear than the complex definitions that you can find in Webster's dictionary. For example, let's take the word captivity. It's hard to know how the word captivity sounds to a three-year-old. For sure it must conjure up some sort of negative connotation. Recently, while my daughter was reading to my three-year-old granddaughter Taylor, she got a peek into the inside of Taylor's inquisitive brain. Included in the reading were several mentions of "captivity". It seems that Taylor could discern from the content that the people that went into "captivity" had done something very wrong. At the end of the reading, Taylor spoke up. She had a puzzled look on her face as she asked, "Now just what is "captivity"? Is it when a person goes into timeout or hail?" I didn't misspell that word at the end of her question, but I did try to spell it phonetically as itcame out of her mouth.
It seems as if they have quite an accent down in Arizona! To her, "captivity" was a simple concept, but it needed to be clarified. I know my daughter, Brianna, opted for the more simplified definition of "time out", but when I think back on the Taylor's question, I wonder what would have happened if Brianna had opted for "hail". Then the next time Taylor got in trouble, Brianna could have said to her, "you better settle down or I'm going to put you in captivity."
Just wandering!
No comments:
Post a Comment