Thursday, October 27, 2011

Chin Up!

I was lying in bed with Judge Judy on mute ( which, I discovered, is actually the best way to watch that show), listening to DJ Sammy ( dreaming about my Heaven with my family) and trying to decide what to write about today. Then it hit me, right in the throat it got me. I'm talking literally. Everything was going just perfect until my body decided to offer a volunteer full body spasm. My computer stand was set up a bit low and so when my carefully placed and manicured fat belly hit the computer stand, off slid the laptop and landed square on my throat. So now, if you can picture this, Judge Judy on mute and me with a computer pinning me down to the bed by my throat! As you can see, I just don't let a small thing like that put me on mute. Take that Judge Judy.

Being in a position like that got me to thinking ( it doesn't take much!) I am reminded of something Taylor lovingly calls "chokers". The other day she woke up and told her mother that she didn't sleep so well. When her mother asked why, she clearly stated, "the chokers kept waking me up." That being a new word for her mother used in that context, she was curious what Taylor was talking about. So she asked  incredibly probing secondary question to Taylor's remark, "So, what did you do?" To which Taylor gave her reply that obviously shows how incredibly smart she is, "I blew them on my sheet." The clarification wasn't so clarified to Bree so she hurried off to Taylor's room to check out these chokers that she had blown away.

I'm going to leave you hanging for just a second. I too have my problems with chokers and I too blow them a way. Where they land is not really up to me and they have chosen many delightful places to land. Okay, you guessed it! Chokers are those ugly yet fascinating little green blobs ( that really is the technical term -- I checked it on Wikipedia) that get bigger and bigger until you can't breathe through your nose and you have to do something with them. Taylor correctly identified how to dispose of them so she could go back to sleep. Blow them on your sheet! Now, if she would have been oh, say, six or 12 months younger, she may have also explained to her mom that she not only blew them away, but that she couldn't stand to see them wasted on the sheet and she got hungry. And the end of chokers!

I'm still pinned down here with my computer, waiting for someone to rescue me. I'm okay and all, I've been in worse situations that's for sure. Oh! And the above reminded me of something that probably only my children have experienced because no other father would play such a trick or have such a distorted sense of humor. Anyway, I loved to cook breakfast for our family on Saturday mornings. I owed as much to their beautiful blue-eyed brunette mother who cooked breakfast every other morning of the week and stayed out late with me on Friday night's. My breakfast of choice was a big pot of oatmeal. Not just any oatmeal, but my "special" oatmeal. It included vanilla, walnuts, cinnamon, brown sugar and my "secret" ingredient. I'm willing to offer up my secret ingredient today because I have a pretty good suspicion that I won't be making any special oatmeal in the near future. Here's the secret ingredient: five drops of green food coloring. And there you've got it --delicious oatmeal that looks like fresh chokers. You'd think that no one would ever eat it right. Well, I convinced them one by one and if you ask them today, they will tell you that was their favorite meal that I ever made ( of coarse, it was the only one I ever made!)

Well, Taylor, I can tell you from experience that chokers have kept me up many nights and nothing feels better than falling asleep after blowing away a choker!

No comments:

Post a Comment