Lying still in bed thinking is one thing, but lying in bed watching football is completely another. On the one hand, you are still doing, but on the other hand you just lay there waiting for somebody else to do something. I realize it's entertaining, football I mean, but of what value is football entertainment? I'll admit that I've had a few entertaining moments from football. But, they usually come when there's 2 seconds left on the clock and the losing coach gets drenched in Gatorade by the players that have spent the whole game hovering around the wet fan and don't even realize what the score is. Time runs out. Now that's entertaining. So here I wait, still, guys run up the field, fumble, and the other guys ran down the field and end up throwing an interception. This goes on for somewhere around two hours while I wait, still, for the last 2 seconds and the Gatorade dump. I think the last one I saw was in the seventh grade!
To set the record straight, I love football. But, I've never really been a good sports fan. I don't listen to sports talk radio, and when I was younger I could only sit through a few minutes of any sport before I had to go outside and throw some ball, any ball up in the air as high as I could. I can hardly imagine me spending an afternoon watching sports unless there was a blizzard outside were Evil Knievel was jumping 20 smashed Buick station wagon's. It always made me nervous that they were Buicks because that was the model we drove. It also seemed a bit odd to me that they were all smashed, didn't Evil believe in himself?
So, here I lie, still. I could probably use some entertainment if I would have done anything this week. Entertainment is for the people that work hard all week and need a break. That's not me. I've been in this bed all week long. I'm not complaining or anything. Three good meals with plenty of yummy medication for dessert. I have any show that I want to watch at my fingertips, if I could only get up and get the remote. Now, how lazy is that? I pretend like I'm doing something on the screen, but I really just have a comic book up where no one can see it. That's how my days roll, scheduled nap in the morning, interesting lunch because I get to interact with someone, Bonanza, scheduled nap in the afternoon, Gilligan's Island, unscheduled nap in the evening, interesting dinner because I get to be fed by my beautiful, blue eyed, brunette wife, scheduled quick nap, then into prime time -- which I'm usually too tired to watch.
But, there is one relief and I watch and pray for it every day. Around the corner of my bedroom door will come a beautiful pregnant lady carrying a small package. She puts her downand she toddles three or four steps in my direction. She stops dead in her tracks, her eyes glistening, she gives me the little gimp wave. She knows that's how I wave so that's how she waves to me. I could watch her for hours and not feel the least bit lazy. She amuses me and he entertains me. Not this evening though, she has a cold and she's tired. She probably missed her nap today watching football games with her parents. Sweet Maxine toddles off to her evenings rest and so do I. both of us awaiting the Healers.
Soon she will get a tricycle. I think I'm going to keep a lookout for smashed Buick station wagon's!
Dad!!! This is beautiful! I love it! I'm so happy you have a special relationship with Maxine. She sure loves you. I was dying tonight watching her laugh at you dancing. You two are really cute together. I love you. Thanks for being such a wonderful Gimpa. And even though I love Michigan football, football all day wears me out too.
ReplyDeleteThanks Jackie. I feel like I do have a special relationship with Maxine that is different than the relationship I have with Taylor and Ellie. Actually, I hope to have a different special relationship with each of my grandchildren. That will mean that I need to know each of them independently from the other. I had forgotten about the bed dancing. All I have to include it in another post. Thanks Jackie for your encouragement. Love, pops
ReplyDelete